Thursday, September 23, 2010

2010 Wivenhoe Kayak and Canoe Convention

Well this year I again travelled to Lake Wivenhoe, which is about 1 west of Brisbane or 3 1/2hrs from Ballina for the 3rd Annual Wivenhoe Kayak and Canoe Convention which commenced on the 11th September.

A bit of info about the competition first:
- The Convention as its known by the regulars is a 2 day fishing competition where bass and yellowbelly (Golden Perch) are the main targets for the competition.
- Its a catch, photograph, measure and release style comp where competitors lay the fish on a bragmat or a ruler and take a photo of it with their individual 'token' visible in the photo. This style of comp is the best practice for fishing as the fish are returned relatively quickly to the water instead of being held in a livewell which on a kayak can be unsuitable. The major prizes are given away as lucky door prizes, though some good prizes are given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall place marks and biggest bass and yellowbelly for each day.
- The proceeds from the entry fee, BBQ's, raffles and donations all go towards the Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association which is the main group which stocks Somerset and Wivenhoe with silver perch, yellowbelly, saratoga, Mary River Cod and of course the Australian Bass.

Well on the 10th of September my start to the weekend started slowly and due to a few mixed messages I ended up having to catch up with the NSW convoy of Pete, Kerrie, Adrian and Geoff. Off we went on our journey up to Brisbane (and stopping off at Fernvale for some groceries we finally drove into Captain Logan Camp and began setting up home for the weekend.

I quickly set up the kayak and went out for a pre-fish to try and find some schools of bass and to work out how to use the new GPS I bought recently. Lake Wivenhoe is a huge body of water and due to the strong northerly winds (20knt gusts) some large waves came over the bow and darkness approached the wind began to die down indicating some good conditions for the weekend.

While walking around the campsites with a beer in hand I caught up with some fishos from the previous comps I had enetred such as the Clarrie Hall Dam comp and last years Wivenhoe Convention. The moderators from one of the major kayak fishing forums in Australia (www.kfdu.com.au) provided a BBQ that night in which the proceeds were given to the stocking program the Convention is created for. Well I willingly donated 16 fish to the dam that evening!

Staying up late into the night drinking home-made scotch, beer, sambuca and for some people (Kerrie) passion pop did not help with trying to wake up early the next morning in preparation for the 7hrs fishing ahead.

I wandered out on the lake mainly to explore the new surroundings as last year it was only 60-something percent full and now at 95% there was a lot of water between fish. Trolling a newly-acquired Jonesy Elle my first fish which was a fork-tailed catfish of 50cm came aboard. These fish hit the lures surprisingly hard and gee do they put up a decent fight!

100m further along whilst trolling over a school I had marked the day before a fat-ass bass of 34.9cm decided to engulf my Jonesy's Elle. I had finally caught a bass from this forsaken lake!


A few more hours of trolling and I had moved up past a small island aptly named Pelican Island (that place stinks literally!) and began trolling along a cliff face at around 8.6m deep. For one moment I was pedaaling along nicely and then all of a sudden the lure 'snagged' on something that stopped the kayak dead in its tracks! I thought I had snagged the lure up, but as I turned around and gave the 'tree' a good whack it took off, taking 30m of line with it!

A good fight ensued with the fish taking me under the kayak a few times and after a few fumbled netting attempts I had the new pb fish of 46cm in the net. These Wivenhoe fish are unbelievably fat and are well deserving of the nickname 'footballs'. After de-hooking the fish and taking the length photo for the comp I pedaled over to a fellow kayak fisher some hundred metres away from me so he could take a portrait photo for me. Thankyou to you sir.


After releasing this fish back into its watery home, I trolled around Pelican Island and slowly made my way back to camp, where I handed in my catch card and rang the fish bell under Fitzy's command.

Meeting up with a bloke I know called Peter back at camp, I went and set up a shrimp trap (for my fish tank not for fishing use) and some red-claw pots.

I then rigged the kayak for 'show mode' and dragged it up to the oval where most of the competitors had lined their kayaks up for display to other participants to have a look at with brands such as Ocean Kayak, Hobie, Viking and various other stables of yaks. I found this event quite interesting as I know have a good idea of what kayak will be next on the list (Old Town Dirigo 120 and Hobie Adventure Island), personally I fielded questions about my set-up left, right and centre, most likley because I was wearing a Hobie Fishing Team shirt at the time.

Another BBQ was running that night but before I tucked into some tucker I went and checked the redclaw pots and found I had caught my first redclaw with a total of 5 in only one pot, so I moved the others near to the one which caught them and left them overnight.

That night the BBQ was again great (no cooking or washing up!) and certainly drew in a lot of people. Another late night drinking around the camp fire session and I woke up to the calls of Peter and Geoff telling me I was late to that days briefing. I quickly ran up to the event HQ and grabbed my catch card and number and set-off to a glassy lake morning. Checking the redclaw traps again I found nothing had become trapped in the pot so I chucked them back in and moved off.

The 2nd day I trolled for 18km and another 5km of mucking around, and for that 23km of non-stop pedaling I was 'rewarded' with two massive forkies and busted off one of my new best lure a Jonesy Elle on a tree in 10m water.

At about 11am on the 12th, I decided that was enough for me and I pulled into camp and began packing the tent, esky, chair, fishing rods, kayaking gear, clothes and all the other junk that goes along with a weekend camping trip into the car ready for the 3 1/2hr drive home. After the prize draws were all done and dusted the NSW convoy again moved off and stopped for a final pie at Fernvale, before heading off on our separate ways as I went to visit some family at Arundel before walking in the front door at 7:53pm.

Thanks to Fitzy and his helpers for providing such a great weekend and the kayak fishers making it worth the drive from Mexico (as some people call it). I hope to be there again next year!


Photos to come soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment