Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Secret Creek Bass

Hello,
Today I went out to a little known spot that large bass (50cm+) can be casually swimming in amongst swimmers for a fish to see if they reacted to fishing tactics.
Well first cast I hooked and landed this feisty little (16cm) bugger

Photobucket
The little tacker

I moved downstream to a larger pool because some 'considerate' kid came down and started swimming right there where I was and started throwing large rocks around.

The second cast I noticed a large tail fin idle past my lure, so I immediately threw the lure out again and the fish followed it once more, so I slowly twitched it in. Each time I twitched the bass became more interested. So another 3 casts and I resolved to dead slow retrieve which was nailed by a large fish.

A long fight ensued over rocks and through narrow gaps in the rocks, but I had the fish subdued. As I traced the fish to haul it up on the bank the leader broke at the leader-lure knot and I immediately grabbed the fish by the mouth as it still had my lure in its gob.

Photobucket

So I got the lure out and showed the nearby American tourists what a proper bass looks like, a few photos and away she went.

Photobucket

Measured to the marked spot on my rod, she went 43.5cm exactly what my original PB was!

Photobucket
The best lures I have used (the bottom one was the lure for this report)

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me where this fishing spot is. I wouldn't mind going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tourists probably weren't used to that kind of fish( depending on what part of the U.S they were from, of couse). Were we live it is mostly trout that you would catch if you fished in a lake here.

    ~Ciara

    ReplyDelete